This is a key focus area for Energise Ōtaki. It organises walks and workshops around practical projects such as how to keep your house warm, repairing bikes, growing food, updating what is happening in the energy space and participating in community events.
- In 2016 Energise Ōtaki used some of the WWF award to fund a 60 minute film of people in Ōtaki talking about energy, the issues and the future and what they would like to see happen. It is used for a range of purposes.Read more
- Energise Ōtaki regularly attends the Ōtaki Community Expo and other community events such as Matariki, to both publicise what is being done and services available and to support the events generally. Publicising the Curtain Bank has been an important focus.Read more
- In 2015 Energise Ōtaki invited Rod Oram to give two talks on energy futures, community action and models for change and the politics of energy. They were extremely popular. They were filmed and the record along with a copy of the material provided by Rod are available.Read more
- Our April Meeting is on Wednesday, April 10th, 2019 at 6pm at the Supper Room, Ōtaki. We hope to see you there!Read more
- Kapiti Coast District Council has a strong interest in clean technology as an economic development opportunity. Underpinning this is a long term interest in sustainable development and how it can manage its services and infrastructure sustainably, including reducing climate change impacts.Read more
A number of its initiatives already contribute to the Energise Otaki vision including photovoltaic installations at the swimming pool and hall, installation of LED lights, the cycleways programme, ensuring its stormwater and wastewater pumping systems are energy efficient.
This focus area reports briefly on relevant Council projects and also provides information on how the community can get involved in Council decision-making on relevant projects.
- NOW until the 22nd March, 2019 - if you have a community services card, you can get free curtains for your living room and bedrooms to help keep your home warmer in the winter.Read more
- Nau mai, haere mai! Come one, come all! We meet on the last Thursday of every month at the “Supper Room” (the Dr. Gertrude Atmore Supper Room, on the corner of Main & Aotaki Streets, Ōtaki). 3pm – 5pm Come and hear Jake Roos talk about what he sees happening in the energy space, latest updates on climate ...Read more
- Energise Ōtaki and Birthright Ōtaki are teaching young mothers about planting vegetables in bags and buckets to enjoy fresh salads and other easy to grow vegetables.Read more
- Our next Meeting is Wednesday 12th June at 5pm at LOCO owners' Strawbale home. It will be a wonderful chance to experience strawbale living.Read more
- A discussion on Food Security in Ōtaki.Read more
- This weekend, April 26th and 27th 2019, is Ōtaki College’s 60th Reunion Weekend (you can register here) and we thought it would be a good opportunity to share this cool video that was made a couple of years ago celebrating XŌtaki (the Ōtaki College Alumni), Ōtaki College, and Energise Ōtaki’s work together to relocate some ...Read more
- Our Monthly Meeting times have changed to the 2nd Wednesday of every other month. Our next meeting is Wednesday June 12th, 2019.Read more