Wednesday, February 12, 2020 : 6pm – 8pm at the Dr. Gertrude Atmore Supper Room on the corner of Aotaki and Main Streets, Ōtaki 5512
The Agenda can be downloaded here.
6pm – 7pm:
- Special Guest Speaker: Simon Arnold, Chief Executive, National Energy Research Institute (NERI, Member of Bioenergy Association, and Director of Blended Fuel Solutions NZ Ltd., and NuFuels Ltd.
- Special Topic: Future Transport Fuels
7pm – 8pm:
- Energise Ōtaki Public Meeting re. Ongoing Project Updates: After the discussion Energise Ōtaki will have updates from volunteers and the committee about current Ōtaki projects such as the Ōtaki Curtain Bank, Ōtaki Bike Space, etc. All welcome and encouraged to attend – we would love to meet you and discuss.
Future Transport Fuels
Transport affects all of us. Over 50% of New Zealand’s fossil fuel use is in transport, and while we are lucky to have considerable room to expand our clean electricity generation to service Electric Vehicles (EVs), batteries have their limitations when it comes to long haul land, sea, and air.
Aotearoa’s physical isolation makes us particularly exposed in sea and air. Simon will outline the main future fuel options: reducing emissions from fossil fuels, clean hydrogen, better batteries and charging, and biofuels – gas and liquid. But none of these options are clear cut in New Zealand, and all will probably cost more.
Simon will share what we need to be doing now to help move forward in the various modes – highlighting often overlooked and very promising opportunities from the demand side.
Simon is a Member of Bioenergy Association, and Director of Blended Fuel Solutions NZ Ltd., that is involved in improving fuels, particularly close to the point of use; and of its subsidiary, Nufuels Ltd., that is involved in small scale waste to fuels, primarily pyrolysis of tyres and plastics.
Simon is also part-time CEO of NZ’s National Energy Research Institute (NERI). NERI represents most of NZ’s energy research organisations (Universities and Crown Research Institutes (CRIs)) and related industry groups (it and the Bioenergy Association have mutual memberships). NERI recently developed an Energy Research Strategy for NZ and has been actively engaged in the 2019 Budget announcement of additional funding for energy research and the National Energy Development Centre in Taranaki.
Simon’s private company, arnold.co.nz, commercialises physics and engineering based technologies. Through it Simon has been involved in:
- developing the NZ superconductor industry (for nearly
- setting up NZ’s first national Angel Investing network,
- an industry advisory group for the MacDiarmid Institute, and
- advising the research funding system.
Simon has been active in industry organisations since having been CEO of the NZ Manufacturers’ Federation in the 1990s, and is currently the convener of the Liquid Biofuels & Co-products interest group of the Bioenergy Association.
He is a past President and life member of the Wellington Chamber of Commerce, and chaired the Policy Council of Business Central.
Prior to all that Simon had senior roles in public policy and administration, including being Jenny Shipley’s policy and strategy adviser when she was Prime Minister. He started life in education research and planning responsible for the sector’s statistical collection and analysis and forecasting. https://www.linkedin.com/in/simon-arnold-78418a28