Whakahiko Ōtaki – Energise Ōtaki Fund
From the sun to the fund to your project?
With money raised from Aotearoa’s FIRST community-owned solar farm, Energise Ōtaki wants to help you help energise Ōtaki/ Te Horo. 2022 FUNDING ROUND NOW CLOSED.
The Whakahiko Ōtaki–Energise Ōtaki Fund boosts community-initiated ‘energy’ projects.
Funded projects help Ōtaki thrive: by supporting our people; reducing our climate emissions and energy consumption; turning ‘waste’ into energy; sparking energy-related action and awareness. Does your project address a social need, does it ‘do good’ in our community?
We are not just talking ‘tech’. We are looking for creative, educational, fun projects; electric, practical and science-sourced ones too.
How will your great idea help energise Ōtaki/ Te Horo?
Here’s more detail on what we’re looking for.
Here are the 2021 Fund recipients.
+/-Want to talk about your application?
or drop in to our Main St. office, or come to a workshop (details below)
Application choices will be made by a committee made up of Leigh Ramsey and Dave Rumsey of Energise Ōtaki, Tanira Cooper of Ngā Hapū o Ōtaki, KCDC Councillor James Cootes and Horiana Irwin-Easthope from Wellington Community Fund.
How many can win?
With around $20,000 to share, the committee hasn’t set a limit on the number of winning projects.
Winning projects will be showcased online.
The committee is guided by principles we’re grateful to Ngā Hapū o Ōtaki for sharing, including whanaungatanga (reminding us that working together helps make the best projects possible), mohiotanga (freely and openly sharing information and knowledge) and kaitiakitanga (supporting people and place). A full list of these principles and how they relate to the fund is here. Please refer to these in your application.
- APPLICATION SUPPORT: For anyone wanting to further develop their project before applying. Come to a workshop (see below- just turn up or email us to set a time), visit us at 7 Main St. (10am-2pm, Tuesdays-Thursdays) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please note that as well supplying a written application, you are welcome to APPLY IN PERSON.
- 2022 Application forms: read online | download pdf to print | download docx to edit
- Project guide: read online.
- Guiding principles: read online | download.
Email your application to email@example.com or
Post to: Energise Ōtaki, 176 Waerenga Rd, Otaki 5512 or
Drop it in to the Energise Ōtaki office at 7 Main Street, open Tuesdays – Thursday from 10am to 2pm.
Who can apply
Any person, anywhere, as long as the project is set in or directly benefits in Ōtaki and/or Te Horo. Applications can be to kick-start new ideas or to support existing projects. You are welcome to apply for multiple projects!
- Now: 2022 applications welcome!
- 27th September (Tuesday): Workshop/project consultations, between 6:30-8:30pm, Gertrude Atmore Supper Room
- 8th October (Saturday): Workshop/project consultations, between 10:30am-1pm, Gertrude Atmore Supper Room
- 21st October: WRITTEN applications close. All applicants must give a written application.
- 2nd November: IN PERSON verbal applications/ presentations for any applicant who wants to (this is an offer, not a requirement!). Timing between 6:00-7:30pm to be arranged with Energise Ōtaki
- +/-10th November: Winners notified
- 16th November: Awards presentation
- Soon after that: Winning projects receive funds to change the world (centred in Ōtaki/Te Horo).