The focus here is on working with local schools to advance student interest and involvement in sustainability generally, renewable energy technology projects, energy conservation projects, and where possible provide them with opportunities for future employment.
The premise is that children who understand energy systems, clean generation technologies and the need to reduce energy use will be ambassadors for change in the community. A key partnership is with clean technology businesses built around business projects they are developing.
Over the last four years there has been a major focus on developing projects with Ōtaki College. The principal and key staff have a strong interest in advancing sustainability as an underpinning theme in relevant areas of teaching, and providing students with opportunities to explore ideas and practical projects around that theme. The College is a participant in Energise Ōtaki and a number of projects have been developed. This is turn has led to a growing national and regional appreciation of what Ōtaki College and Energise Ōtaki are trying to achieve. During 2018 the focus will be on consolidating existing projects, ensuring their integration into the curriculum and developing teaching resources around each area.
- Energise Ōtaki and Birthright Ōtaki are teaching young mothers about planting vegetables in bags and buckets to enjoy fresh salads and other easy to grow vegetables.Read more
- Bike Space Ōtaki - a place to learn to repair your bike, trade a bike for an upgrade, or get a bike.Read more
- Our next Meeting is Wednesday 12th June at 5pm at LOCO owners' Strawbale home. It will be a wonderful chance to experience strawbale living.Read more
- Energise Ōtaki's June 2019 visit to a strawbale house.Read more
- Stages 1 and 2 of the Ōtaki College solar energy system has been installed. The two 10.4 KW systems were part of a planned 20KW system planned for the College. When completed it will be the second largest school solar energy system in New Zealand.Read more
- Energise Ōtaki is working with local organisations to take a holistic approach to food growing and supporting community and connections.Read more
- Energise Ōtaki Inc. Seminar Series: Future Transport Fuels Wednesday, February 12, 2020 : 6pm – 8pm at the Dr. Gertrude Atmore Supper Room on the corner of Aotaki and Main Streets, Ōtaki 5512Read more
- A discussion on Food Security in Ōtaki.Read more