The Council helped fund and holds the lease for the at 2 Ake Ake Place Ōtaki in the Clean Technology Park. This building, completed in 2013 has four business units with the full range of environmentally sustainable technologies and materials incorporated. These include:
- A 3.8 kilowatt wind turbine on a 17m mast, which generates electricity for the building or supplies it to the national grid.
- A 5.1 kilowatt solar photovoltaic array, which does the same
- Rainwater storage and greywater recycling systems
- Sustainable drainage that prevents stormwater run off
- Passive design that makes maximum use of free solar energy and ventilation for heating and cooling the spaces
- A solar thermal water heating system in Unit 4
- A highly efficient heat pump for water heating in Unit 3
- Ultra low energy LED lighting inside and out
- Recycled glass paving made by local company Silaca Glass Crushers
Units in the building are available for sublease from Council by businesses wishing to be part of the community of ‘clean tech’ businesses present at the Park. For enquiries about renting space in the innovation hub contact
- Programme Design and Delivery Manager, Kapiti Coast District Council.
- Tel. 04 2964 652
- E: email@example.com